Luscious Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Saturday, I went to a Christmas party at my boyfriend’s parents’ house. His mom, Sherry, made a fantastic vegan pineapple upside down cake based on a recipe she found on VegWeb (recipe by user BayPuppy.) The cake was so good, everyone was raving about it. It was moist, held its shape very well, and it made a beautiful centerpiece to the buffet.
The recipe calls for pineapple chunks and does not call for maraschino cherries, but I think the whole pineapple slices and cherries add great color and texture to the cake.
Thanks for the delicious meal, Sherry!
Here is the recipe reposted from VegWeb:
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup unpacked brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Pour juice off can of pineapple into 1 cup measuring cup-it should be about 3/4 cup juice. Add water to make 1 cup. In a separate bowl, combine the pineapple juice, oil, and vinegar.
2. Dump pineapple chunks into the bottom of a 12″ spring form pan (you could use an 8″ x 8″ or other sized spring form, just adjust cooking time). Sprinkle with brown sugar.
3. Quickly mix wet ingredients into dry, stirring quickly to combine ingredients well and get out the big lumps. Pour into pan on top of the pineapple/brown sugar mix.
4. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Baking time will depend on pan size) Let cool and loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove side ring and place serving plate on top. Flip cake over onto serving plate and remove pan bottom.
Source of recipe: This is a modification of Jeanne’s White Cake recipe I found here under Wedding Recipes. This cake turned out well so I thought I would share! This makes a pretty sweet, moist cake. You can replace the juice with just water if you are concerned about it being “too sweet”.
Makes: 8 to 12 servings, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes